Thursday, May 24, 2012

Homemade Strawberry Jam


Homemade Strawberry Jam



Ok, so I am in the middle of completing my final assessments at the moment, so I have cheated a bit.  For Valentines Day this year I decided to be a bit more creative because let's face it after being together for over 20 years - chocolates, bears etc gets a little bit predictable.  

My sweetheart loves berries - so I decided to buy (yes you heard right) some strawberries and make jam especially for him.  Unfortunately, they weren't really in season and mine all died - which is why I did the strawberry pallet garden earlier.  Needless to say when I presented him with this and his other favourite, homemade shortbreads - he was blown away with appreciation.  Sometimes it is good to think 'out of the box' a bit so that we can create something special and unique.

Recipe for Strawberry Jam

500g strawberries

1 cup sugar

juice of 1 lemon

Wash and dry berries.  Squash berries with hands into a saucepan and add sugar and bring to the boil with lid on.  Stir and take off the lid.  Let simmer until soft and add the lemon juice.  Test to see if it is set by putting a dob on a saucer and letting cool.  Bottle in sterilized jars and lable and decorate.  
 Makes one bottle - but you can adjust the quantities to make more or less.

Thought for the day:  Valentines Day, celebrated on 14 February, helps us focus on love and romance, even though many think it is too commercial.  In light of celebrating love and marriage, I thought this verse would be appropriate.  '..... Rejoice in the wife of your youth.  A loving doe, a graceful deer - may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be captivated by her love.  Proverbs 5:18-19.  I like this verse because it highlights that love and marriage can last a lifetime. I know how happy my husband has made me and I treasure our relationship.  I am always looking for ways to please him and he tries to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment