Thursday, April 26, 2012

Knitted Squares

Some of my knitted squares ready for 'Knit for a Cause'
 
As, I said in an earlier a post, we all have 'gifts' - some are really unique - like the boy who holds the record for balancing the most spoons on his face and others are kind of common compared to that guy anyway!  Not really.

We are all special and have different gifts that we can use.  But what do we use them for?  Good or bad? Maybe we bury them - I know someone who has the most brilliant voice, but refuses to use it because it reminds her of a painful time in her life.  Maybe we are still trying to work out what they are.

I am able to knit (sort of) basic things.  So when I heard about the plight of a young woman who was calling for donations of knitted squares for cancer patients - I felt I had to get involved.  Since I joined, I have knitted a few squares and hope to do more.  It is taking me quite a while, but I know that there are others out there doing their squares which when combined, will look amazing and provide joy and warmth to someone in need.

I must mention that this is not a new concept.  My mother (and late grandmother) and women (and men) from their local church have been knitting, crocheting and sewing things for the local mission for over 55 years!  These women selflessly work all year long to brighten the countless lives of others, never expecting payment or recognition.  However, a few years ago, the media found out and came and shot footage for a television station - the ladies and gentlemen where very proud, however, they took it in their stride and keep going even to this day.

Thought for the day:  God has blessed us all with gifts.  He likes us to use them and is even more pleased when we use them to benefit others.  In the bible (Matthew 25:14-30) we read about the parable of the three talents.  There has always been some controversy about what this means.  In olden times a talent was a unit of measurement.  Some believe a talent relates to how many souls a person will save, others believe it is just representing our giftedness.  Whatever, it is - we should do it to and for the Glory of God!  So I am going to use it this time to represent our gifts which help us create.  How wonderful if we can extend these to help someone else by being charitable.  Charity is the generous actions/donations to help the poor, ill or helpless.  Don't ignore your gifts!

Here is the facebook page if you want to help ' knit for a cause'

No comments:

Post a Comment